Best Indoor Airers UK Reviews
Thanks for taking the time to read our reviews of what we believe to be the best indoor airers. These are almost always referred to as a clothes horse. No matter what you prefer to call them, they are very popular, especially given the great British weather.
Most of you will know that when you have done a wash, and taken out of your washing machine, then the next big problem is getting the washing dried properly and as quickly as you can.
In the summer time most people will either hang it up on an outside washing line, or on one of the rotary washing lines, also referred to as a whirly gig.
While those options are fine in the summer months, they are really not a great choice in the winter months. Spring and Autumn are also highly problematical.
The UK weather is simply too unpredictable, and although you can take a chance it really is a hit and miss way of drying your clothes.
One other alternative is of course the popular tumble drier. These however cost around £200 on average, and they are pretty expensive to run. There are also certain materials that can not be put into a tumble drier.
That leaves only one option really, and that is the humble indoor airer or clothes horse. In the remainder of this article we show you what we believe to be the top 10 indoor airers for use around your home.
Top 10 Indoor Airers - Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
When we do our research we look at a number of important elements. These are:
- What airers are home owners buying?
- How do they rate them after they have bought them?
- Do they think they have got good value for money?
We think that you will agree that these are the really important things to know if you are buying any product.
To find that information out we look at all the websites that sell these type of home cleaning products. We look at the buyer ratings, the buyer comments and also how they rated these airers overall.
We then give them an overall satisfaction score which we express in a percentage scored out of 100.
Please note that if you click on any of the product links in the table below, you can jump to a summary of that individual airer.
As you can see from the list above there are plenty of choices and most of them carry a good rating. Just below we have done summary reviews on each of the indoor airers on the list.
No 1 Choice - Vileda Extra X-Legs Indoor Airer
- Our number one choice has a full 20 metres of drying space to easily dry large amounts of your laundry
- This airer has extra thick wires and that means less creases on garments
- The frame is made from steel and that means it is steady and very sturdy
- It also has a safety mechanism to avoid accidental closure
- It also comes with a small holder for small items
- Buyers liked the fact that this one has wheels to move it around
- It is also a nice compact size and fold easily for storage
- Buyers liked the way that if folded down easily and was then compact to store away when not in use, also had a clip to keep it closed
- Quite a few buyers said the centre section is ideal for larger clothes items like sheets and jumpers
- Buyers said there was lots of hanging room
- Buyers also said this was very stable when erected
- Buyers said this was very good value for money.
- A few buyers received they received a damaged product and had to get it replaced
- A couple of buyers said the wires started to bend after a few months of use
No 2 Choice - JVL Folding Clothes Utility Over Door Airer
- We wanted to include one over the door airer, mainly so as our readers know that this is an option
- When folded out it provides 7 m of drying space
- The purpose behind these over the door airers is that they free up floor space
- It does make them ideal for using at caravans, inside balconies or over doors if you have limited floor space
- Folds away after use if required for easy storage
- Approximate size: 68 x 50 cm
- Buyers said this was really useful for student accommodation
- Some buyers used these over their sash windows and that worked really well
- Many buyers said this worked well for caravans and holiday homes
- Ideal for hanging towels, swimsuits, etc.
- Buyers said that when attached to a door, you get a very long drop and that means you can hang anything on it
- Some buyers used this over a standard radiator
- A few buyers said this is far too big when folded down to use
- A few buyers said it was too flimsy
- A few buyers also said you cannot close it as the over door bits are cylindrical
No 3 Choice - SONGMICS Winged Folding Clothes Airer, 16 Metre Drying Space
- This airer is made from stainless steel tubes and that means it is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- There are plastic caps on the bottom that stop this airer from slipping
- The drying area is large at 16 metres of drying space and measures 147 x 56 x 128 cm when fully opened
- Can hold up to 2 laundry loads
- There are 2 wings ideal for drying sheets and blankets
- There are also 26 clips on one wing for hanging small pieces of garments such as socks, underwear, etc
- The bottom rack is suitable for placing towels or pillows
- The wings can be raised or lowered (97-128 cm) to meet your needs, no need to worry about long garments touching the ground anymore
- Quick to set up and can be folded away in a few seconds
- Overall very positive reviews on this drying rack airer
- 80% of all buyers gave this airer a full 5 star review
- It can be set into a number of different positions and is big enough to hold bed clothes
- The lower shelf is useful for stacking piles of folded clothes ready for the ironing board.
- Buyers said they didn't mind paying a little extra as this is a very well made and sturdy clothes horse
- Buyers liked the fact that they could use this one outdoors
- Very few complaints on this product
- One minor complaint was that the joins on the bars felt a little rough and could snag clothes
No 4 Choice - ADDIS Superdry Airer 11 meters
- This is one of the most popular laundry brands
- It has a large drying area of 11 metres
- This airer has casters which means it can easily be moved around
- It can be used indoors and outdoors
- It is a good size for drying bed sheets and duvets
- It has a telescopic folding action ideal for easy storage and has a locking clip to keep it closed
- It also has a footwear holder for drying slippers & trainers.
- It comes with a wash bag to protect delicates during washing and then clips onto the airer to form a flat drying area
- The bars are strong
- Buyers said that this airer had plenty of space, was easy to set up and easy to pack away and to wheel around
- Ideal for wheeling it up to the washing machine - taking the wet clothes out and placing them directly on the airer
- Almost every buyer said that this product is very sturdy and heavy which prevents it falling over
- Many buyers used this one outside as well as indoors
- Buyers also said it is well balanced unlike many of the taller racks
- This airer will hold a full load of washing and the mesh rack on the bottom is great for socks and smaller clothes that are annoying to hang up
- A number of buyers received a faulty or damaged product and they had to send it back to get replaced
No 5 Choice - Minky 3 Tier Plus Indoor Airer, 21 m Drying Space, Silver
- This is the biggest seller online for this type of airer
- This is a big 15 metre airer
- It is easy to put up and has an "auto locking" feature
- It also has flip out corners for vertical drying of longer garments - 4 flip outs that hold in total 12 extra long hanging items on coat hangers
- It folds flat for easy storage
- Measures 59 x 55 x 141 cm ad weighs 3.6 Kg
- It is made from tubular steel
- Has non-slip feet
- No assembly required
- Buyers said it's easy to use and relatively sturdy
- Buyers said that the build quality is very good
- Buyers said you can hang a lot on this airer including shirts, jeans, jumpers. etc.
- Buyers thought it was very good value for money
- Many buyers said that this was both flexible and light
- Many buyers really liked the fold out wings for coat hangers
- A few buyers said that this collapsed to easily under a heavy load
- Some buyers said this was low quality
No 6 Choice - JVL Caravan Indoor/Outdoor Four Panel Folding Clothes Airer Laundry Dryer
- As the name would suggest this one is aimed at caravan and holiday home owners, though it can be used indoors and outdoors in any home
- It is certainly one of the cheaper options on the UK market, but it still gets very good buyer reviews.
- This is classed as a 16 wire airer with four sections
- It is light and folds flat for easy storage
- Each section size: 50 x 109.5 cm approximately (x4); provides 8 m of drying space
- Most buyers said this was good value for money
- Buyers also said that if used properly it will last
- Buyers who lived in smaller apartments or flats really liked this
- Many buyers used this at caravan and mobile home sites
- Buyers liked the 4 panels as it allowed them to separate things out evenly.
- Some buyers said they received a damaged product
- Some buyers said the supports came apart after some use
- A number of buyers said this tips over far too easily
No 7 Choice - Hyfive Clothes Airer Drying Rack Extra Large 3 Tier Clothes Drying Rail
- This one is a 3 tier airer and a large one made from stainless steel which does explain the higher price point.
- The rods are coated in plastic
- It has castor wheels and each wheel has its own individual brake, which means it can be moved around and then locked into position
- There are 3 drying levels and additional hanging wings
- Can hold up to 15 Kg of washing
- The side hangers can be adjusted To different h
- There is also a shoe drying rail at the bottom.
- Buyers said that the hanger racks on either end are very handy for work shirts etc.
- Buyers said it was time consuming to assemble but worked well if you carefully followed the instructions
- Buyers really liked Because that the racks have a lot of space between them, as it helps the clothes dry faster and smell fresher
- Buyers also loved the fact that it's on wheels
- A few buyers said this started to rust at the joints very quickly
- Buyers said this was hard to assemble as the holes were not properly punched out
- Buyers said it collapsed too easily
No 8 Choice - AmazonBasics Foldable Concertina Indoor Airer - Chrome
This airing rack is made of lightweight steel and that does make it nice and easy to move around, as it is not too heavy. That accordion design allows you to fold this flat, and that of course makes it a great deal easier to store.
The chrome surface goes a very long way to stop any build up of either rust or mildew. The airer measures 36.8 x 74.9 x 106 cm (LxWxH)
- Most buyers said this was very good value for money
- Buyers said this was easy to put up, and also easy to take down and store away
- Buyers said there were no sharp edges
- A few buyers said this could not be locked into position
- A few buyers said this appeared to be cheaply made
No 9 Choice - Minky Xtra Wing Indoor Airer, 24m drying space, Silver
- This airer has 24 metres of drying space and that is about enough to hold up to 2 wash loads
- The arms can be placed in different positions
- The corners can flip out to make 12 extra hanger spaces
- There is also a flat drying section, ideal for delicate fabrics
- Buyers thought this one was good value for money
- Buyers said it was simply made but very effective
- Some buyers said this was just poor quality
- A few buyers said it was too small
- Some buyers received faulty goods and some received the wrong goods
No 10 Choice - MultiWare Foldable 3 Layer Tier Clothes Airer Folding Hanger Dryer Stand Rack Powder Coated Tube Indoor Outdoor Laundry
- This is a 3 layer airer that folds away neatly
- The rack has been powder coated
- Has wheel stoppers
- It is made from steel with a clean white powder finish and blue plastic trims
- Buyers liked the size and the different options on this model
- Buyers said it doesn't take up much space yet holds a lot
- Buyers said it was sturdy
- Buyers said it was hard to assemble
- Buyers said some parts of the stand came loose
- Some buyers said it was flimsy
So that concludes our reviews on the top 10 indoor and outdoor airers that are currently available in the UK. Given the great British weather, most homes in the UK will be able to make use of at least one of these.
Almost always these are used inside when the weather is bad, and you can't get airing your clothes on a washing line or rotary air line. Some people also use these outdoors if there is sunshine as again this is a great way of getting some fresh air through your clothes.
Other people will have one or two of these in their garage, as it keeps the clothes out of the house, and yet gets some air around them.