Philips GC8650/80 Review
The GC8650/80 model from Philips is one of the models in their PerfectCare Aqua steam range. This one costs around £180 and the manufacturer’s recommended price is around £260. Buyers have given this model, an average overall rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars, which is very good. The colour as you can see from the image is black and purple.
On this page you will find a full review of the GC8650/80. For those who don’t have time to read my full review, then please click here, to find the availability at Amazon in the UK.
MAIN FEATURES & BENEFITS of The Model GC8650/80
Below, I have listed the most important features of this Philip’s model:
- This one measures 26.3 x 27 x 36.2 cm
- It weighs 4.7 Kg
- It has a huge 2.5 litre detachable tank
- It is suitable for use with tap water
- It is powered by 2,400 watts
- Has 6.2 bars of pressure which delivers 120 grams per minute of steam and also has a 330 gram steam boost
- Has a useful carry lock
- Takes 2 minutes to heat up
- Hose Length is 1.7 metres
- Cord Length 1.8 metres
- Has an Auto shut-off facility
So clearly these features show that this is one of the higher end machines in terms of the actual specification and full range of features. The tank is certainly one of the biggest on the market right now, and has a wide mouth for easy filling.
The amount of steam is quite amazing. It is this which makes ironing with one of these steam generator irons, so much faster and better.
It is also super easy to de-scale this iron, and that means you can get away with using ordinary tap water, rather than distilled water.
This is a good choice as it can easily handle all types of garments and materials ranging all the way from delicate silk to a rugged pair of jeans.
Pros & What Buyers Liked About The GC8650/80
Below I have listed the main advantages of owning and using an iron of this quality. This is based on what actual buyers have said, and for me, that is the most important thing to find out.
- Very well designed, very effective and top of the range was the opinion of the majority of buyers
- The water tank is huge and means, that if you want to, you can iron for 6-7 hours with one tank of water
- No need to change temperatures as the iron takes care of that by itself, as it uses low heat but lots of steam
- Both the cable length and the hose length are ideal so no worries about being able to reach a plug
- The carry lock is a great idea when you are putting the iron away
- The water is held in the tank, and that makes the actual iron itself light, which makes life easier on the hand and wrist
Cons & What Buyers Didn’t Like About The GC8650/80
I have also listed here anything of significance that people either complained about, or simply didn’t like about this model.
- This is a big iron and needs a lot of room for storage
- No heel for standing on the iron so you have to rest it on the tank or on the ironing board
- Some people gave this poor reviews (2 in total) but that was down to delivery issues rather than complaints about the actual product
This one comes with a 2-year guarantee, but please make sure to register online to take advantage of that. The details are inside the instructions.
People tend to put this off, but please don’t do that, and get your new appliance registered as soon as possible.
This iron is very easy to de-scale so make sure you do that on a regular basis. I would recommend once a month or so to stop and risk of a scale building up.
Summary & Recommendation For The GC8650/80
I always read the negative reviews to see if there are any real problems with a product. 88% of buyers rated this iron either 4 or 5 stars. Of those who didn’t their issue seemed to be with delivery problems, which is not actually a reflection on the product itself.
This is a top of the range iron, though not cheap at around £210. We would recommend this one if you can afford it of course.
The steam produced from this is high and as it uses a low temperature, there is no risk of scorching or burning any clothes. The large tank ensures you will not need to constantly refill it, and it is super easy to maintain and clean. Overall this one tick all of the boxes.